I don’t know about you, but I love a good peppermint mocha. A piping hot peppermint mocha on a cold morning always does the trick, and the slight burst of peppermint instantly makes it feel like the holidays. What I love even more than peppermint mochas are cupcakes, so it only made sense to combine the two. A light chocolate cake filled with coffee and peppermint sounded like the perfect holiday treat!
I let the idea dance around in my head for a few days when I just happened to stumble upon peppermint mocha Kahlua. I was immediately intrigued and knew these cupcakes were about to get a whole lot better. I put a half cup in the cupcake batter so believe me, you definitely know it’s there. It’s a light chocolate cupcake, and upon first bite you get this wonderful boozy, mocha flavor followed by a little pop of peppermint. Under baked by about a minute, the cupcakes sink ever so slightly in the center making this all sorts of delicious!
At this point I was already a little smitten, but wanted to add a little white chocolate to the party as well. I used the Godiva white chocolate liqueur that I love so much to make the frosting along with a dash of peppermint extract to balance out the sweetness. Piped on top of the cupcakes, it was a match made in heaven. Topped with festive sprinkles and a sprinkling of disco dust, these cupcake are their own little party waiting to happen To make them even more festive, I piped some Santa hats on them. So cute and super simple too! I give full directions in the recipe below.
Last, I want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday filled with family, friends, good food, and lots of dessert!
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Kahlua Peppermint Mocha - I talk about substitutions in the notes.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, room temp.
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 5-6 Tablespoons white chocolate Godiva liqueur
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Piping bag
- red food coloring
- tip #808
- tip #20
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Sift dries together.
- Alternate adding the dries with the Kahlua and buttermilk.
- Fill cupcake pans and bake at 375 degrees for 18-20.
- Cream butter and 3 cups powdered sugar.
- Add 4 Tablespoons of the liqueur to start.
- Add peppermint extract.
- Beat on medium speed till frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency. You may also add remaining liqueur if needed.
- Using a piping bag with tip #808, pipe a mound of red frosting on cupcake. Slowly pull piping bag up while gradually releasing pressure to create the shape of the santa hat.
- Using tip #20, pipe a small shell border around the base of the hat and a tiny rosette right on top.
If you do not have Kahlua Peppermint Mocha, you can use regular Kahlua. If you want that pop of peppermint make sure you add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract.
If you want to make sober cupcakes: Simply replace the Kahlua with coffee.
If you are tinting buttercream red, you need a good food coloring such as chefmaster, and it takes a lot!
These are best in 1-2 days of making, and you want to serve them at room temp.