I made 12 regular size cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes. While they were cooling I colored some fondant orange and black, and rolled it out. Using a 3″ ring mold I cut out 12 circles. I put a very thin layer of buttercream on the cupcakes and then placed the fondant on top. The buttercream is needed to make the fondant stick. Next I stacked 2 mini cupcakes on top of each cupcake and placed a toothpick down the center to stabilize it. Once again I put a very thin layer of buttercream on the mini cupcakes and stuck them in the fridge. I rolled out my white fondant and figured out I would need my circles to be 4 & 1/2 – 5″ in diameter to cover the cupcakes. Luckily I had a margarita glass that was the perfect size!
|Crumb coat minis|
|Fondant circles for ghosts|
Once I cut out the circles I placed the fondant over the mini cupcakes, and just let it drape. At this point they were looking pretty cute, but they definitely needed a little something. Using black food coloring I painted on their faces. As soon as I gave them eyelashes, I knew they needed a fabulous accessory! I decided to make pink bows, and of course I had to bust out the disco dust 🙂
What you’ll need
- 12 Cupcakes
- 24 Mini cupcakes
- Orange, pink, & black food coloring
- Paint brush
- Disco dust
- Bake cupcakes, 12 regular & 24 minis
- Make a small batch of buttercream.
- Color fondant – orange, black, & small amount of pink for the bows.
- Roll out the black fondant and using a 3″ ring mold or a wine glass cut out 6 circles.
- Repeat with the orange fondant.
- Frost the cooled regular size cupcakes with a thin layer of buttercream(this is just so the fondant sticks).
- Place the black & orange fondant circles on top of the cupcakes.
- Stack 2 mini cupcakes on top of each regular size cupcake and insert a toothpick through the whole thing to stabilize it.
- Frost all the mini cupcakes with a thin layer of buttercream. Once again this is so the fondant will stick and will prevent the cupcakes from drying out.
- Start to roll out the white fondant. Make sure you keep the cupcakes in the fridge while doing this. If they get too soft at any point, they will be difficult to work with.
- Using a glass that has a 4 & 1/2 – 5″ diameter cut circles out of the white fondant.
- Place the fondant circle on top of the mini cupcakes and let it drape.
- Using a paint brush dipped in food coloring paint faces on the ghosts.
- If you want to make girly ghosts make little bows out of pink fondant.
- When they are completely dry, brush them lightly with water & then brush the disco dust on.