Last week I got the idea to make peeps, but not just regular peeps… I wanted to give them a makeover and create GLAMOUR PEEPS! I’ve always been a fan of these adorable little chicks, and even as a kid they were the only candy I wanted for Easter.
I do remember asking for a white chocolate bunny one year but I never even ate it. My reasoning: I thought it was too cute to eat However, I never had any problem eating peeps. Even now it takes a lot of will power for me not to buy them!
Now you should know that once I get an idea in my head it is full steam ahead! As I was conceptualizing this glamour peep idea I started thinking about how I would even make them. I knew I would start off making my marshmallows, but would I just use a cookie cutter and cut out cute little shapes? Nah that wouldn’t be enough for me. I knew I would have to pipe them. The next question was how do you pipe a peep? Well I decided to wing it and it worked! Okay so I made marshmallows and tinted them pink-surprising right?! They looked so cute when I piped them. I could have left them alone at that point but that wouldn’t have been very glamorous, and I tend to like things over the top Enter disco dust… I cannot even begin to tell you how much I LOVE disco dust! It’s edible glitter. I mean really what’s not to love?! Once my peeps dried overnight I brushed them with water and then covered them in pink disco dust. I used blue food coloring to give them eyes and GLAMOUR PEEPS were born :) The last thing to take care of was presentation. The only proper way to display GLAMOUR PEEPS is on a feather boa! I knew that would come in handy one day
|Ready for my close-up!|
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 2T. powdered gelatin
- 4T. cold water
- 1t. vanilla extract
- Mix powdered gelatin with cold water (add extra water if needed) and set aside.
- Combine corn syrup, sugar, and water in saucepan and bring to 235 degrees using a candy thermometer.
- While bringing sugar mixture to a boil begin whipping egg whites in mixer till soft peaks form.
- When sugar mixture reaches 235 degrees add gelatin and quickly stir to dissolve.
- Slowly add hot mixture to whipping whites.
- Add vanilla and whip till stiff.
- Add food coloring if desired.
- Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Cover parchment with powdered sugar(don’t be cheap)
- Fill a piping bag with marshmallow.
- Pipe a tear drop shape first.
- Then pipe the peep by squeezing the marshmallow on top of the tear drop pulling the piping bag up. Slowly release your pressure and bring forward.
- Allow peeps to dry overnight in a cool dry place.
- Brush lightly with water.
- Brush with disco dust.
- Place the eyes on them using a toothpick dipped in food coloring.