The countdown to Valentine’s Day is officially on, and I’m in the midst of baking craziness friends. Today’s post is fun project fit for all skill levels. These Love Monster cupcakes are ridiculous and over the top, just the way I like them. I love that they’re so wonky looking, because I think love makes us all a little wonky!
The last part of this project was to create the eyes. I used some fondant and a heart shaped cookie cutter to make the eyes. At first I used a small cutter, but then moved on to a larger one to create that googly effect. I glammed them all up with disco dust and some of them even got eyelashes! This is the part of the project that I love because as you start decorating, the cupcakes start to take on little personalities.
I also used some little eye candy that I found at Michael’s which worked out really well. If you don’t want to go the fondant route, you can also pick up some heart shaped lollipops to use for eyes. Either way you definitely have options. This is a really great project for kids to get involved in, and a charming little present to share with someone you love
What you’ll need
- Pink and red food coloring
- Pastry bag
- Tip #133
- Fondant for eyes
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Assorted candy such as candy corn, heart shaped sprinkles, conversation hearts, & eye candy
- Red & silver disco dust
|I love the one in the middle with the eyelashes!|
- Bake cupcakes & make buttercream
- Color buttercream red & pink.
- Pipe buttercream on completely cooled cupcakes using tip #133.
- Make mouths out of assorted candy.
- Roll out white & red fondant, and cut out different shaped hearts to make eyes. When fondant is dry brush with a small amount of water, then disco dust if you want the sparkly effect. Once fondant is dry insert toothpicks and stick in cupcakes. Eyes can also be made using heart shaped lollipops.
|I love that the googly eyes & heart shaped mouth make this one look surprised!|