The one thing that comes to mind when I think of Spring is a new beginning. The warm weather puts me in a good mood and I’m ready to take on new projects. I usually tackle at least one home decorating project, and I try to get rid of all the clutter in my house and my life! This usually starts with me cleaning out my dressing room which by the way is really just an excuse to make room for all the new shoes I want to add to my collection
Now when it comes to spring time dessert I instantly think of lemon and lots of berries. I usually make a lovely lemon cake, but this week I wanted to try something new. Lemon curd was definitely going to be involved so I decided to go with a napoleon. I fell in love with napoleons in pastry school. They are so classic and they always look super elegant. Instead of using puff pastry I used a shortbread cookie. Of course I didn’t just want to use my typical shortbread so I decided to add cornmeal to the dough. WOW! I can’t say enough about these cookies! The cornmeal gives the cookie an awesome texture, the orange zest lends a really nice brightness where you’re not expecting it, and when you bake the cookies they stay soft similar to a tea cake. I layered the cookies with lemon curd that I lightened with whipped cream. I finished it off with raspberries and garnished it with a butterfly cookie. It is light and under stated, and the components really complement each other wonderfully! The finished product looks really pretty and is perfect for Spring!
- 1 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- 6T. melted butter
- zest of one orange
- Mix dries and zest together in mixer.
- Add melted butter and eggs mixing just till dough comes together.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling out. If you are not going to roll out the cookies, form dough into a log and chill. You can just slice and bake them if you choose.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 12-14 minutes till golden.
- 4 yolks
- 1/2 cup + 2 T. sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup + 2T. lemon juice
- 4T. unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- Whisk ingredients together over low heat till thickened.
- Strain and cool.
- Place plastic wrap directly on the curd and refrigerate.
- Whip 1/2 cup heavy cream and fold into lemon curd.
- Layer 3 cookies with lightened curd.
- Top with whipped cream and raspberries.