Have you ever had amaretti cookies? Light, airy and bursting with almond flavor! They’re perfect with a great cup of coffee and I always find that people swoon over them – myself included. I also notice that people get a bit nervous when trying their hand at these. Maybe it’s the egg whites or the piping, but don’t be intimidated by these little poofs of almond delight. Amaretti are easier to make than you think. All you need is a great recipe and a Silpat, and I’ve got both for you today!
For those of you who may not be familiar with these little cookies, they are primarily made up of ground almonds and egg whites. Almond extract adds even more flavor and of course I add a splash of Amaretto to the party as well! The most important thing to remember when making these is to first make sure you whip the egg whites till stiff peaks form and be gentle when folding them into the ground almond mixture to ensure they poof. Next you pipe the mixture onto a silpat and send them off to do their thing. That’s it!
And speaking of Silpat, I’m so happy to share this giveaway with you! Not only do you have the chance to win a Silpat, but you’ll also win a Roul’Pat! If you like to bake you know that Silpat is basically your best friend in the kitchen. It’s a silicone baking mat that can be used over and over again and believe me, these stand the test of time. More importantly, when I use my Silpat I know I will always have consistent results. Cookies always bake evenly, scones get a beautiful color and it’s just what you need to make Amaretti! I know you’ll love this product as much as I do!
The other product in this giveaway is the Roul’Pat. I absolutely love this product! It’s a non-stick countertop workstation that you’re going to use for rolling pie dough and even cookie dough. What I really love this product for is rolling fondant – amazing!! It’s also great for chocolate and sugar work, and it makes clean-up a snap. Who doesn’t love that?!
These are two great products that all bakers should have in their kitchen so a big thank you to my friends at Silpat for the giveaway! You can enter this giveaway by using Rafflecopter down below and you can get lots of entries! Thanks for entering and Good Luck! I’ll see you tomorrow with a Mother’s Day dessert and another giveaway!
- 1 and 1/4 cups sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Amaretto
- sugar in the raw
- Combine almonds, corn starch, salt and powdered sugar in food processor and pulse till almonds are very small.
- Whip egg whites with sugar until stiff peaks form. Add almond extract and amaretto.
- Fold whites into ground almond mixture being careful not to deflate the whites.
- Fill piping bag and pipe onto a Silpat. I used Tip #826
- Sprinkle with sugar in the raw.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes. Then lower the oven to 200 degrees and bake with the door ajar for 25-30 minutes till cookies are dried out.
- When cookies have completely cooled, store in an air tight container.
You want to get all the amaretti piped and in the oven at the same time. If you leave the batter just hanging out in the bowl, it will deflate & you will end up with flat cookies.