I was going to share these yesterday, but I figured you might think they were some type of April fools joke! While I’m usually all about the cake in any way, shape or form, I promise you these are no joke. These avocado “deviled” eggs are my new obsession! These little gems are packed with flavor, completely satisfying and that bacon sprinkled on top is the icing on the cake!
I wanted to do something new for Easter brunch this year and since we definitely have dessert covered, I thought it would be fun to zhush up classic deviled eggs. I knew right away I wanted to replace the classic mayo yolk filling with creamy avocado and once I started putting it all together, I knew bacon needed an invite to this party!
These eggs are super easy to put together and you can totally customize them to your taste! I mixed together avocado, a few yolks, red onion, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Don’t be stingy with the salt, but do keep in mind that you’re going to sprinkle them with bacon! To add a little heat to these, you can add some finely chopped jalapeño, and some chili powder sprinkled on top would be great as well.
Sprinkle some really crisp, crumbled up bacon on top and prepare yourself. The crunch and the flavor it adds is so good, you may want to make extra! I arranged these on a wood board on a bed of fresh spinach and I was kind of completely thrilled with how it turned out! They’re so fresh and vibrant looking, and they’re going to add such a great pop to your Easter brunch spread!
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 good size ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- Juice of half a lime, about 2-3 tsp.
- 4 slices crispy bacon
- Chives for garnish - you can also use cilantro
- Fresh spinach leaves for platter, if desired - I used about 2 cups
- Slice hard boiled eggs in half, lengthwise. Keep 2 of the yolks and discard the rest.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mash the avocado and 2 egg yolks.
- Mix in lime juice, red onion and salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop heaping spoon of the avocado mixture into the halved eggs.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and garnish with chives or cilantro.
- Arrange eggs on top of fresh spinach and serve immediately.
You can also add some finely chopped jalapeño pepper to the avocado mixture for a little heat and even more flavor.
Sprinkle a little chili powder over the top for some heat and color.
You can make the avocado mixture in advance up to an hour, but once assembled, the eggs should be served immediately.