Do you think you can handle one more Thanksgiving recipe? I sure hope so because I’ve been itching to share this incredible side dish with you. It’s been ages since I’ve shared a savory recipe with you guys, and I think bacon is the best way to break the ice! This bacon apple wild rice is the next recipe I created in partnership with my friends at Farberware, and it’s one of those recipes I refer to as a holiday helper. In just 3 steps, you have a dish that’s as good to look at as it is to eat.
I’m going to keep it short and sweet today because I know Thanksgiving week is busy. Between family, friends, traveling, hosting, planning, and prepping, there’s a lot going on, and that’s one of the many reasons I’m obsessed with this dish. It’s super easy to prepare, and filled with onions, apples, sage, and thyme, it’s full of cozy autumn flavors. You can also make it ahead of time. I’m making mine today!
Did I mention there’s bacon?
The bacon gives the dish so much flavor, and then the apples cut right through it, balancing every bite beautifully. I knew the rice was a winner when I kept going back for one more “taste,” and the ingredient that really ties the whole dish together are the toasted pecans. That crunch factor is exactly what the recipe calls for. It was like finding the perfect pair of earrings that tied the whole outfit together! Sorry, this is how my brain works…
Tossed with some fresh parsley, the dish is a definite keeper! It’s also great for those who may not be into stuffing and would like another option. I’m all about the options!
While it’s a shoe in for Thanksgiving, this is one of those dishes that’s great throughout the fall and holiday season. It pairs beautifully with roast chicken and pork, and it works whether you’re making a simple dinner or you’re entertaining. Make sure to hop over to Farberware for the full Bacon Apple Wild Rice recipe. I hope you guys give it a try and let me know what you think! I also want to thank you for your feedback on the pumpkin cake roll! I’m thrilled so many of you are making it this week and I cannot wait to see your photos!
Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all have a beautiful holiday filled with family, friends and great food. Thank you so much for being here, and I’ll see you next week with some new cookies!
Easy to make and full of inviting fall flavors, this bacon apple wild rice is one dish the whole family will love. It’s perfect for weeknight dinners, a must for Thanksgiving, and is sure to become a staple during the holiday season.
- 2 cups wild rice mix
- 3 3/4 cups chicken stock, low sodium, divided
- 8 ounces bacon
- 6 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced, or 2 good sized shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground, fresh
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- In a Farberware Skillet, combine rice with 3 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and simmer for about 45 minutes. Rice may require an additional tablespoon or two of chicken stock. Remove from heat and leave covered for 10 minutes. *Please read instructions on the wild rice mix. Different varieties require different cooking times.
- Head over to Farberware for the remainder of the Bacon Apple Wild Rice recipe. Enjoy!
Disclosure: I am in a working relationship with Farberware and this recipe was developed for Farberware Cookware. Thank you for supporting Buttercream Blondie and allowing me to share what I love.