Good morning and happy Friday! Can you believe today is March 1st? This gives me hope that we will eventually see Spring and I am so ready for it. Are you with me here? More importantly, saying hello to March means Saint Patrick’s Day is coming up! The countdown is officially on my friends, which can only mean one thing – it’s time for my Saint Patrick’s Day series! What better way to kick off this fun filled series and the weekend than with brownies. Dark chocolate truffle brownies spiked with Baileys to be exact!
Okay, so I feel as though I should apologize in advance for these because they have trouble written all over them. The kind of trouble where no matter how many times you tell yourself you will only eat one, you eventually wind up eating two and calling it dinner. Starting off with truffle brownies is always a good idea, and adding Baileys to the situation automatically makes it that much better! My favorite part about these brownies is how when they cool, they deflate a little in the middle and slightly crack around the edges. It’s like they’re telling you to just grab a spoon!
Of course, you can leave the brownies as is, or you can take it one step further and add a little frosting. Frosting is always a good idea, right? I should probably mention the frosting is spiked with Baileys too! I told you these were trouble. I added instant espresso powder to the frosting as well to cut the sweetness and add another pop of flavor. Once you swirl on a little frosting, you should sprinkle it with a little more instant espresso powder.
At this point they look good, but they look even better when you cut into them. Actually, sinful is more like it!
One bite and you’ll be hooked. Although they are rich and decadent, they’re still light. They have just the right amount of sweetness and after you take a bite, you get the Baileys just dancing around. It’s like a little hand held flourless chocolate cake, and the only words I was able to muster up after that first bite were “God help me.” I’d say that about sums it up! Have a great weekend!
- 6 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons Baileys Irish cream
- 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 and 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- pinch of salt
- 2-3 Tablespoons Baileys
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8″ x 8″ pan with parchment paper & spray with non stick spray.
- Melt chocolate & butter together.
- Mix eggs, sugar and instant espresso powder with whip attachment on medium high speed until eggs thicken and get lighter in color. This usually takes about 7-8 minutes in a stand mixer.
- Mix in vanilla and Baileys and continue to whip for an additional 2 minutes on medium high speed.
- Pour melted chocolate/butter mixture into mixer. Make sure it is warm, not hot.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix just to combine.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes rotating once halfway through.
- Cream butter and sugar, adding a little sugar at a time so you don't have a sugar shower.
- Add in salt and instant espresso powder.
- Add in Baileys to taste.
- Spread on cooled brownies and chill.
Use a good quality chocolate for this. I use Callebaut dark.
Make sure the chocolate/butter mixture is warm - not piping hot when you add it. You want it to incorporate easily, not cook the eggs!
Once you add the dries at the end, just mix to combine. You don't want to deflate the mixture. This is why it is important to have your pan prepped ahead of time, so as soon as it's mixed, you just pour it in & pop it in the oven.
Please note that since these are truffle brownies, they will initially poof. When they cool, they will collapse a little - that's supposed to happen!