Good morning guys! I can’t think of a better way to start the day than with these blissful little oatmeal cream pies. The classic treat you may have found in you lunch box as a kid has been completely revamped. Chewy oatmeal cookies are bursting with local blueberries and filled with a vanilla bean mascarpone filling. Seriously, I really wish I could just hand you one through the computer…
I don’t know about you, but I am completely smitten with berries right now. The color alone is enough to make me swoon, and they add such a brightness to baked goods. I added some blueberries to my go to oatmeal cookie recipe and they turned out awesome! The berries pop while they’re baking giving off this beautiful color. The cookies alone are a treat, and being that they’re full of oats and fresh berries, maybe they pass as breakfast?!
The next step in this makeover was to make the cream filling. The fact that I had to pry myself away from the cookies to make it was torture, but believe me, it’s worth it! There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to use mascarpone, so I mixed it with a little light brown sugar and vanilla bean paste. It’s creamy with just a hint of earthy sweetness and the little specks of vanilla bean make me happy. I sandwiched the cookies with it, and this is the point where I don’t even have words.
All I can tell you is you need to make these! I promise you will thank me. They’re super easy to make as well, so they’re great for any skill level, and who doesn’t love an oatmeal cream pie!
Classic oatmeal cream pies get a sweet upgrade with fresh blueberries and bourbon. Filled with a lush mascarpone filling, these easy nostalgic treats are always a hit!
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 tbsp. bourbon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla and bourbon.
- Mix in flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix in oats.
- Gently mix in blueberries. Be careful not to break them up!
- Wrap cookie dough in plastic wrap & refrigerate a few hours – over night.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop cookies, I use a scoop that measures 1/2 ounce portions, and bake at 325 degrees for 13-15 minutes rotating once halfway through.
- Let mascarpone sit out for a few minutes so if softens enough that you can stir it.
- Stir in vanilla bean paste and light brown sugar.
- Fill cookies with mascarpone filling and refrigerate.
I used a piping bag to fill them. You can also use a spoon.
I use a 1/2 ounce cookie scoop to portion the dough. This is about a tablespoon.