Who’s ready for apple desserts? I’m at that point where I’m ready for apple everything, but it’s still pretty warm here so I thought a boozy apple pie milkshake might just be the perfect compromise. Boozy milkshakes are my answer to everything!
Apple pie is the quintessential Fall dessert and it’s even better with vanilla ice cream on top so I liked where this was going already. I made a beyond quick apple pie “filling” (I had to make it twice because I love it a little too much) and then thought it would probably be a good idea to whip up some of my go-to caramel sauce. Because in what universe would that ever not be a good idea?
I blended all that magic up with vanilla ice cream and bourbon, and it turns out boozy milkshakes really are the answer to everything. You get all those warm Fall flavors in a cool milkshake with a pop of bourbon – I’m ready for another.
And for the glasses, I dipped them in white chocolate and then my “crust” which is a mix of graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and cinnamon.
I also drizzled some caramel sauce in the glasses and chilled them before filling so you get all those pretty swirls. But let’s be serious here, swirls or no swirls, this is all about the main attraction.
Top them off with homemade whipped cream and more caramel sauce and you’re welcome! After I photographed them, I sprinkled a little sea salt over the caramel whipped cream situation and if you’re a salted caramel type of person, you might – more like definitely – want to add that to the mix!
I hope you guys try these and invite me over when you do, okay?
Classic apple pie gets transformed into the ultimate boozy milkshake topped with homemade whipped cream and caramel sauce!
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup white chocolate
- 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tsp. light brown sugar
- Dash of cinnamon
- 2 big scoops vanilla bean ice cream
- Cooled apple pie filling
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup milk
- 1-2 Tbsp. bourbon - based on taste - I go for 2!
- 2- 3 Tbsp. caramel sauce
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- Whipped cream for topping
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt butter.
- Add apple pieces, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apple starts to get tender.
- Chill filling until ready to use.
- Melt white chocolate in medium bowl.
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon.
- Dip glass in melted chocolate and then graham cracker mixture. Chill until ready to use.
- Add ice cream, apple pie filling, 1/2 cup milk, bourbon, caramel sauce and vanilla into blender and blend until smooth. Add more milk if needed.
- Pour into chilled glasses and top with whipped cream.
- Drizzle with more caramel sauce and enjoy!
I use homemade caramel sauce, but feel free to use store bought. You can also omit the caramel sauce entirely if you wish.