So I have this little issue as soon as I start getting into fall baking that has to do with pumpkin. You see, I have all these ideas for new pumpkin desserts that I want to share with all of you like yesterday… Hello, it’s only mid September, and although I’m seeing a lot of fab looking pumpkin recipes all around, I’m just not there yet. I look at this time as transition time, and I need to ease into this fall thing. Lucky for me, I stumbled upon a little treat last week that will hold me over for a bit, till next week anyway!
Pumpkin spice kisses could potentially be a little dangerous to have around the house! Have you tried them yet? While they’re not knock you over the head pumpkin, they have a warm, spice flavor that says fall. I knew I wanted to make cookies with them, so I adapted my favorite thumbprint cookie to create something new. Filled with brown sugar, a little cinnamon, and some bourbon, these cookies are a great fall treat.
The thumbprints were the perfect pairing for the kisses because they’re not too sweet. The kick of bourbon really helps balance things out as well 🙂 I love it paired with cinnamon too, it’s just instant warmth to me. When I made the cookie dough, I chilled it over night as I always do, but if you are pressed for time you don’t have to. Just make sure that after you scoop and roll the cookies, you chill them before baking so they don’t end up all flat and wonky looking. You don’t even have to make an imprint in the center before baking. Just have your kisses unwrapped when they come out of the oven so you can immediately press them into the centers. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool!
So this is my current pumpkin fix, and I’m going to get back to baking with apples since I’ve got some fun new recipes to share including a fantastic giveaway coming up next week! All I can tell you is you’re not going to want to miss it!!
- 4 ounces (8 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. Bourbon
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 2 & 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bag Hershey's Pumpkin Kisses
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars till light and fluffy.
- Add egg, extract and bourbon, scraping the bowl down as needed.
- Mix in mascarpone.
- Add dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Scoop cookies using a half ounce cookie scoop, roll into balls and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Chill cookies for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake cookies for 12-13 minutes, rotating once halfway through.
- While they're baking, unwrap the kisses.
- As soon as you remove cookies from oven, place them on a wire rack and press a pumpkin kiss into the center of each one.