I started out making my cauldron by dipping a balloon in chocolate. I used the dark cocoa candy melts you can get at Michael’s. Once it set up I peeled the balloon out of the shell and started filling it up with the goods. I layered cubes of vanilla cake with snickers whipped cream. At this point you can make it as simple or gourmet as you want just by changing up the filling. Once the cauldron was full I decorated it with lots of candy. Luckily I found some gummy worms that were partially pink! When I’m doing a project like this I find it’s the details that really take it to fabulous so I decided to pipe some flames coming up from the base. Filling my piping bag with half orange buttercream and half red gave my the effect I was going for. I used tip # 79 for this which I explain further in the video. To give the cauldron more detail, I sprinkled some gold disco dust on top and brushed it along the edges. Brushing a little bit around the cauldron here and there gives it a bit of a worn look that really adds some character to the cake. So in my world a worn look is sparkly, but at this point that shouldn’t surprise you! There are endless possibilities when it comes to decorating this cake so have fun with it. This is also a really great project for kids, and you can even make them their own mini cauldron to fill and decorate any way they want. I hope you all enjoy the video!
Video courtesy of How2Heroes
- 2 bags dark cocoa candy melts
- 1, 6" round cake cubed
- 3 cups fresh whipped cream
- 10 fun sized Snickers, chopped up
- gummy worms, candy corn & gumballs for decoration
- small batch of buttercream
- red and orange food coloring
- pastry bag
- Tip # 79
- gold disco dust, paint brush
- Blow up balloons, rinse and let dry.
- Melt candy melts in large bowl in microwave in 30 second increments. This should take about 2 minutes total.
- Dip dry balloon in melted chocolate, turning to make sure balloon in coated and set it on parchment paper. The little bit of excess on the bottom will help form a nice base.
- Refrigerate 30-60 minutes till set.
- Pop the balloon and peel out of chocolate shell. Place cauldron on a foil covered cake cardboard or platter of your choice.
- Make whipped cream: Whip 3 cups of heavy cream with ¾ cup powdered sugar and 1½ tsp. vanilla extract. Spoon about 1/3 of the whipped cream into a small bowl (this will remain plain for the topping).
- Fold chopped up snickers into the larger amount of whipped cream.
- Start filling the cauldron by layering cubed vanilla cake topped with snickers whipped cream. Repeat this step, then top with vanilla cake.
- Dollop remaining plain whipped cream on top.
- Color half of the buttercream orange. Color the other half red.
- Using an offset spatula, fill one side of the piping bag with orange buttercream & the other side with red.
- Pipe a ring of buttercream around the base of the cauldron.
- Using tip # 79 (u shaped tip) pipe flames all around the cauldron coming up from the base.
- Fill cauldron with candy corn, gummy worms and assorted candy.
- If desired, lightly dab water around the edges of the cauldron and brush with disco dust.