If you’re a fan of banana bread, but are looking for something a little different, perhaps in the cake department, with a solid shmear of irresistible cream cheese frosting, pull up a chair! I’m sharing my go-to chocolate chip banana cake with you today and with all the love banana bread is getting lately, I just know you’re going to love it!
Banana bread is definitely having a moment right now. It’s easy to make, comforting, and it ticks the breakfast, brunch and snack boxes easily. But the one thing banana bread doesn’t have is frosting, and that’s where this chocolate chip banana cake steps in! To start, I absolutely love cakes baked in 9×13 pans. I find them easy, unfussy, and somehow, completely acceptable for breakfast, lunch, a little pick-me-up, or as you may have seen in my stories last night, dinner. Total win if you ask me!
What I love most about this banana cake though, is how it manages to combine everything I love about banana bread and cake all in one bite. To me, banana bread is substantial, and I wanted the cake to be too, but I also wanted it to have that light and fluffy factor that cake brings to the table. You know what I mean?
This cake definitely nails it in that department, and in the flavor department too. It’s filled with a sprinkle of cinnamon, light brown sugar, and a good dose of chocolate chips, bringing so much warmth and cozy to the party.
Once baked, the cake is the perfect for canvas for a swoop of cream cheese frosting. The tangy vanilla bean frosting balances the cake beautifully, and will always keep you going back for one more bite!
Happy baking! xo
Switch up your typical banana bread to bake this incredible chocolate chip banana cake. Whether you’re looking to use up all those ripe bananas on the counter, or looking to put a smile on someone’s face, this cake is always a win!
- 1 and 1/3 cup mashed bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Light pinch of salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9x13” cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Spray once more with nonstick cooking spray.
- Head over to Farberware for the rest of the Chocolate Chip Banana Cake recipe. Enjoy!
Disclosure: I am in a working relationship with Farberware and this recipe was developed for Farberware Cookware. Thank you for your continued support and allowing me to share what I love.