What a busy week guys! Thanks to all of you for the wonderful response to my Chocolate & Goat Cheese Cupcakes! I also want to thank Raycom news and reporter Joseph Neese for the feature, and you can check out the story here. Today’s post is another reader request, this time for coffee cookies. This mascarpone coffee cookie is one not to be missed! It has a rich coffee flavor, and the addition of mascarpone adds a delectable creaminess that will keep you going back for more.
This cookie is one of my favorites, and one I go back to often. You will notice that I use a product called Trablit in the cookie dough. Trablit is a premium coffee extract that I was first introduced to in pastry school. It is a bit on the pricey side, but it’s one of those products I think is worth the investment. If you don’t have it, you can definitely substitute any coffee extract. Some Kahlua would work very nicely too! The other key ingredient here is the mascarpone. It just adds a wonderful richness to the cookie while keeping it incredibly light. While I usually make a dark chocolate ganache to pipe in the center of these cookies, this time I went with a white chocolate cinnamon ganache. I steeped a cinnamon stick in the heavy cream while preparing the ganache which added a lovely layer of flavor. The cookie itself is not very sweet, so the white chocolate pairs well with it. Whether you add ganache to these cookies, or leave them as is, they are sure to be a hit. Finished off with a dusting of instant espresso powder, they are the perfect little pick-me-up to get you through the day! Have a great weekend!
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1t. vanilla extract
- 2t. trablit – You can substitute coffee extract or espresso powder
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 2 & 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1t. baking powder
- 1/2t. baking soda
- 1/2t. salt
- Cream butter and sugars till light and fluffy.
- Add egg and extracts.
- Mix in mascarpone.
- Sift dries together & mix in till combined.
- Scoop cookies using a small scoop and make a small indentation in the center.
- Chill cookies for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 12-13 minutes.
*Yields approximately 44 half ounce cookies
White Chocolate Cinnamon Ganache
- 10 ounces good quality white chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Bring heavy cream & cinnamon stick up to a low boil & set aside so the cinnamon can steep in the cream for about an hour.
- Bring the cream back up to a boil and pour over the chopped chocolate.
- Refrigerate ganache till ready to use.
- Once cookies are completely cool, pipe ganache in the centers and sprinkle with instant espresso powder. *You will want to let the ganache sit out till it comes to a piping consistency.