Can you say weekend plans?
The first recipe of the year has to be good, I mean they all have to be good, but this one has to be really kick-ass. I feel like it sets the tone for the year, you know what I mean? And I like it to be a recipe you’ll use throughout the year. One you’ll make regularly, can easily adapt and can always count on.
Whether it’s to brighten a cold winter day, or totally up the brunch game, we can definitely count on this lemon blueberry loaf. Plus, this little loaf is one of those baked goods that just keeps getting better the longer it sits – how is that even possible?
It’s packed with blueberries and a good dose of meyer lemon zest, which adds an unbelievable brightness to it. If you’ve been a reader for a while, or follow along on Instagram, you already know I have a major thing for meyer lemon everything, and I don’t see that ending anytime soon.
Do you remember the Meyer Lemon Blackberry Layer Cake? Let’s all take a moment for those layers!
The one thing I do a little differently when making this loaf is mix the sugar and lemon zest together in the mixer for about 5 minutes before inviting the other ingredients to join the party. I find it really allows the sugar to absorb all that citrus flavor, making the final product even better. It’s kind of like getting more bang for your buck in the flavor department, and I’m all about that.
That citrusy, sweet glaze isn’t too shabby either. I love how it fills all the little nooks in the loaf and some extra zest sprinkled on top seals the deal!
If you don’t have meyer lemons, you can always use regular, and you can also use oranges if you prefer. There’s just something about the lemon blueberry combo that I love, especially this time of year. It’s like a little dose of sunshine in the middle of January.
I hope you guys love this one as much as we did! I also want to thank you for all your feedback on what desserts you would like to see on Buttercream Blondie this year, and if you missed it, make sure to leave me a comment, or post on Facebook. I’ve got quite the list going and I hear ya on the videos, they’re coming very soon!
But seriously, this loaf. That purple drip from the blueberry that burst while I was slicing it. I can’t even!
- 1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 meyer lemons
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon meyer lemon juice
- Zest of 1 meyer lemon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9x5" loaf pan.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour (reserving 1 Tablespoon to toss with blueberries), baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix sugar and lemon zest on medium-low speed for about 5 minutes so the sugar can absorb all that citrus flavor.
- Add cream cheese and butter, and cream on medium speed until light and smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Add eggs followed by vanilla extract, and mix until incorporated.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients with milk into batter, starting and ending with dries.
- In a separate bowl, toss blueberries with remaining Tablespoon of flour and then stir into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 325 degrees for 60-70 minutes (mine usually takes exactly 65 minutes) rotating once halfway through.
- Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice and zest together until smooth.
- Spoon over cooled loaf and serve.
- Garnish with additional meyer lemon zest if desired.
Mixing the sugar with zest in the beginning allows the sugar to take on all that citrus flavor and gives you a lot more flavor in the final product.
Bread is good the day you make it, but even better the next day. My advice is to wrap it well in plastic wrap once it has completely cooled and dive in the next day!