Why are mini desserts SO cute? Maybe it’s the fact that me, I mean we, convince ourselves it’s okay to eat twice the amount and think we did ourselves some sort of huge favor… Maybe it’s the cute factor?
Yeah, probably the first one.
Whatever the reason, I love them, especially these little loaves of lemon blueberry goodness. Tender little quick breads filled with lemon zest and juicy blueberries, baked up to golden perfection and drizzled with lemon glaze. They’re like a little burst of sunshine and with Spring taking its sweet time to show up, I’ll take sunshine in any form. Plus, these little loaves are one of those treats that are even better the next day – how is that possible?
Like we could actually wait to find that out.
I could tell you they don’t need the glaze, but let’s be serious. Drizzled over the top, filling all those little nooks and dripping down the sides, they need the sweet, citrus packed glaze. You need the glaze.
Even better with some extra lemon zest on top. Like citrus sprinkles!
How great are these for Mother’s Day brunch? Or brunch this weekend, or a snack, or simply because? I just love the idea of everyone getting their own loaf, and you could even divide the batter and make half blueberry & half raspberry. You can expect a raspberry variation in the near future.
These are also great for gifting. I like to wrap them in little cellophane treat bags and send them home with guests after brunch. Your friends and family will be so happy the next day, just don’t forget to wrap one up for yourself!
Thanks so much for reading! I hope you guys enjoy these. I also included the bake time for a regular size loaf in the directions so you’ve got options!
- 1 and 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease four mini loaf pans.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour (reserving 1 Tablespoon to toss with blueberries), baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix sugar and lemon zest on medium-low speed for about 5 minutes so the sugar can absorb all that citrus flavor.
- Add cream cheese and butter, and cream on medium speed until light and smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Add eggs followed by vanilla extract, and mix until incorporated.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients with milk into batter, starting and ending with dries.
- In a separate bowl, toss blueberries with remaining Tablespoon of flour, and then stir into batter.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans (about 10 ounces of batter each) and bake at 325 degrees 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, rotating once halfway through.
- If baking a regular size loaf: Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 60-70 minutes (mine usually takes exactly 65 minutes) rotating once halfway through.
- Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice together till there are no lumps.
- Spoon over cooled loaves and serve.
- Garnish with additional lemon zest if desired.
Mixing the sugar with zest in the beginning allows the sugar to take on all that citrus flavor and gives you a lot more flavor in the final product.