>In my opinion there is nothing better than a slice of classic New York cheesecake. My love for cheesecake started as a child. I remember getting so excited on holidays when someone would walk in holding that box labeled S&S Cheesecake. Most kids can’t wait to open presents, but I couldn’t wait for the cheesecake to be cut! To me it meant cake, hot cocoa, girl talk, and a lot of laughs. This love affair has continued, and there have been many Saturday nights ending with my friends and I eating cheesecake at my kitchen table around 2 am laughing about what occurred that night!
Of course I have to put my own spin on the classic and zhush it up, so I’m going with passion fruit. Passion fruit adds this awesome brightness to the classic. Passion fruit also reminds me of summer so it gives me hope that all this snow will eventually end! Passion fruit puree is very thin so you have to make a curd in order for this recipe to work. If you can’t get your hands on some of this wonderful stuff, you can substitute raspberry puree. Raspberry puree is thicker so all you have to do is add a little cornstarch and it will work perfectly. For this cheesecake I chose to use nilla wafers for the crust over graham cracker crumbs. I found that the wafers compliment the passion fruit beautifully!
PASSION FRUIT CURD
- 4 oz. passion fruit puree
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- Bring puree and sugar to a simmer.
- Whisk yolks and cornstarch
- Temper puree into yolks and put back on the stove whisking constantly till thickened.
- Take off stove and whisk in butter.
- Strain into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate a few hours.
- 20 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 11/4 cups sugar
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 11/2 cups nilla wafer crumbs
- ½ stick melted butter
- Mix cookie crumbs with melted butter and press into a 9” springform pan.
- Bake crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Make sure ingredients are at room temp.
- Mix cream cheese and sour cream in mixer till smooth and creamy.
- Add sugar.
- Add eggs, yolks, and vanilla.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Wrap springform pan in plastic wrap and foil.
- Pour half cheesecake batter in cooled crust.
- Spoon half of the curd over cheesecake and swirl in with toothpick.
- Pour remaining batter on top.
- Spoon rest of the curd on top and swirl in with toothpick.
- Place cheesecake in roasting pan and fill half way with hot water.
- Bake at 300 degrees for one hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Refrigerate overnight.
|Cheesecake going in the oven|
|Next day looking gorgeous and ready to eat!|