I returned home from vacation with the best of intentions and renewed energy. I was sad to leave Ireland, but I’m always happy to get home, and by home I mean my kitchen. I was filled with ideas for new desserts inspired by my trip. I had lists up the wazoo. Lists in my head, lists on my phone and lists on paper. And anyone who is anyone knows that lists on paper trump everything.
Old school all the way. That whole crossing things off makes you feel like a superhero. I will even write something on my list that I’ve already done just so I can cross it off.
Anyway, I skip into the kitchen with my list of about 22,000 things I intended to do, and I swear by the end of that day it was nothing short of a miracle I made it out alive…
Thankfully, I eventually got my act together. I think it had something to do with taking a step back for a day, clearing out my inbox, and snagging the most gorgeous peaches at the farmer’s market.
Whatever it was, it worked. Peaches were diced, flour was flying and my favorite brown sugar crumb topping was tossed together.
Super important tip: Make the crumb topping first and set it aside while you prepare the cake. This is important because there’s a lot of butter in there and the dry ingredients need time to absorb it. If you do it last minute, it’ll still taste epic, but the crumb will sink into the cake.
Now for the peaches. I cut them into about 3/4 of an inch cubes. It’s not that technical, just make them all about the same size so they bake evenly.
By the time the cake comes out of the oven, it will take everything in you to not dig in immediately… The smell alone will make you forget about any little hiccups you might have faced earlier in the week.
It’s pretty fantastic as is, but the bourbon was calling my name so I hit it with a little glaze.
Okay, I doused it with the glaze. I mean it was bourbon with a million little specks of vanilla beans floating around.
Now go get yourself some peaches and celebrate summer with this cake. Happy baking!
Peach Crumb Cake with Vanilla Bean Bourbon Glaze - the best crumb cake filled with fresh, juicy peaches and doused in vanilla bean bourbon glaze!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 and 1/4 tsp. teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3.5 ounces (7 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted
- 5 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, reserve 1 Tbsp. to toss with peaches
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1&1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups cubed peaches - about 2 peaches
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. bourbon
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- Mix all dry ingredients together in bowl.
- Pour in melted butter and mix together with a fork making sure everyone gets coated. You will have some larger clumps and lots of little crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8" square pan with non-stick and line with parchment.
- Cream butter and sugars till light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla bean paste.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients into the batter with the sour cream, starting and ending with dries.
- Toss peaches with remaining Tbsp. of flour and gently stir into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, evening it out with a spatula if needed.
- Top with crumb topping and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes till toothpick inserted comes out clean. Mine always takes exactly 53 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, bourbon and vanilla bean paste.
- Drizzle over cake with a spoon.