Pecan pie and buttery shortbread – does life get any better? I don’t think so! We’ve got apple desserts, pumpkin desserts and now it’s time for some pecan pie action. I don’t know about you guys, but in my house pecan pie is a must for Thanksgiving, and I am so excited to share this bar version with you!
These decadent pecan pie bars are the next recipe in the Pure Holiday series and they truly are everything you love, want and expect in pecan pie minus the work! Win, win! And spoiler alert: If you think they look good now, wait till you see them all dressed up!
So you guys know I love zhushing up the classics and I couldn’t wait to put my own spin on pecan pie for the holidays. I wanted to kick up the classic and also create something that was easy to make, which is when I thought of bars – I’m all about packing everything you love into one hand-held treat!
I swapped out traditional pie crust for brown sugar shortbread – always a good idea in my book! Then I made a quick pecan pie filling, which is just a super buttery, nutty, vanilla-filled, almost toffee-like filling, and the results were nothing short of divine!
So just when I thought these cannot possibly get any better, I proved myself so wrong. I busted out the dark chocolate, drizzled it over the top and then sprinkled on some flaked sea salt.
There aren’t even words… And how pretty and festive do they look all dressed up?
Happy baking! xo
Classic pecan pie gets transformed into an irresistible hand held treat with a golden shortbread crust and delicious pecan pie filling. Topped with chocolate and a sprinkle of sea salt, these bars are sure to be the talk of the holiday table!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups pecans
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- Sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F and grease a Farberware® 9x13-Inch Baking Pan. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and light brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the salt and flour and continue to mix just until combined.
- Press shortbread dough evenly into the prepared pan and chill for at least 25 minutes.
- Bake shortbread for 18-20 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Remove from the oven, set on a cooling rack and raise the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Chop pecans and set aside. In a Farberware® PURECOOK 2-Quart Saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, salt, light corn syrup and heavy cream, and simmer for one minute. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla extract and chopped pecans. Pour filling over shortbread and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until bubbling around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely, then refrigerate bars for a minimum of 6-8 hours, preferably over night. When ready to cut the bars, lift them out of the pan by the parchment paper and cut into squares.
- If drizzling with chocolate, melt chocolate over a double boiler or microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Using either a spoon or a piping bag, drizzle chocolate across bars. Garnish with sea salt if desired.
Disclosure: I am in a working relationship with Farberware and this recipe was developed for Farberware Cookware.