Happy Thanksgiving week! Are your menus set yet? Well, you might want to make some adjustments because this pumpkin pecan cake roll definitely deserves a spot on the table! Pumpkin cake, brown sugar cream cheese frosting, toasted pecans and boozy whipped cream – I might fast forward right to dessert!
There are certain recipes I make every Thanksgiving and pumpkin pecan cake roll is one of them. I think I started making it way back in my pastry school days and it just stuck. You guys know I’m way more cake than pie to begin with, and I find it’s one of those desserts that everyone loves. Even the ones that claim they don’t like pumpkin love this cake. I think it has something to do with the cream cheese frosting! Frosting aside, it dawned on me recently that in all the years I’ve been making this cake, the one place it hasn’t appeared is here! That changes today!
The first thing to know about this cake is it’s actually really simple to make. I know cake rolls can be intimidating, but do not be intimidated by it. It only looks high maintenance!
The two most valuable tips I can share with you on cake roll 101 are:
- Be prepared. As soon as you pop the cake in the oven, set yourself up to roll. Clear the counter so you have space to work, lay a kitchen towel on the counter and cover it with powdered sugar. This way when the cake is done (it bakes super quick) you’ll be ready to roll – literally!
- Roll the cake! Seriously, this is the part that trips most people up (in both cake and life). You take the cake out of the oven, you know you have to roll it right away, but you start thinking thoughts like, “is this going to work” and “what if I start and it doesn’t turn out right.” And while you’re worrying about how to go about it, the cake is cooling and now it really won’t roll properly! When it’s go time, you gotta jump.
Funny how cake can teach us so much about life!
I think we can all agree that cream cheese frosting makes life better, but when you add in a layer of toasted pecans, it adds texture, cuts the sweetness, and adds even more warmth, creating the coziest, most comforting dessert. Did I mention the whole cake gets draped in bourbon whipped cream?
I hope you guys give it a try this week, and I hope it becomes part of your Thanksgiving tradition! I’ve got one more recipe coming your way tomorrow for a savory side dish that I think you’re going to love! Stay tuned!
Happy baking! xo
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup finely chopped, toasted pecans, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a Farberware ColorVive 11x17-Inch Baking Sheet with parchment paper and spray well with non-stick pan spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip eggs with both sugars on medium-high speed until until pale in color, about 5-7 minutes. Add pumpkin followed by vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
- Head over to Farberware for the rest of the Pumpkin Cake Roll recipe. Enjoy!
Classic pumpkin cake roll gets a sweet upgrade thanks to cozy fall spices and a brown sugar pecan filling. Finished with a luscious whipped cream topping, this is one dessert sure to impress this holiday season.
Disclosure: I am in a working relationship with Farberware and this recipe was developed for Farberware Cookware. Thank you for supporting Buttercream Blondie and allowing me to share what I love.