Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to allow yourself to indulge your sweet tooth in something sinful. Red velvet cake frites paired with a dark chocolate Southern Comfort dipping sauce is just the dessert to help you do that. These cake frites take classic red velvet cake to a whole new level, and the dipping sauce adds a pop of flavor that balances the dessert beautifully. I also have some exciting news to share with you guys! Today I’m featured in a national news story thanks to Raycom Media and reporter Joseph Neese. It involves a dessert for every stage of your relationship, and you can check it out here.
When I made my original cake frites, Carrot Cake Frites, I knew I wanted to try them with red velvet cake. I was waiting for the right time to test them out, and what better time than Valentine’s Day? I don’t know how it’s possible, but I think I actually like these even more than the original ones! They are so unbelievably light, the funnel cake is like a little pillow wrapped around the cake. Once I fried them, I tossed them in some sugar mixed with cocoa powder and sea salt. The sea salt is key here because it brings all the flavors out. I zhushed up my dark chocolate dipping sauce by adding a splash of Southern Comfort making it the perfect accessory to these frites. The Southern Comfort lends such a brightness to it that just leaves you wanting more. Whether you’re sharing these with your sweetie, treating yourself, or serving them for a girls night in, cake frites are always a hit.
As you can probably tell be now, I’m completely over the moon over cake frites. They are hands down one of my favorite dessert makeovers, and I hope you try them. Enjoy the video!
Funnel Cake Batter
- 1 cup AP Flour
- 1/2t. baking powder
- 1/2t. salt
- pinch cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Whisk dries together.
- Whisk egg & milk together.
- Mix egg & milk into dries till combined.
Dark Chocolate Southern Comfort Sauce
- 4 oz. good quality dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1T. unsalted butter
- 1T. Southern Comfort
- Bring heavy cream & butter to a boil.
- Pour over chopped chocolate & stir to combine.
- Stir in Southern Comfort.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2t. cocoa powder
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Heat fryer to 350 degrees.
- Slice up 1 loaf of frozen red velvet cake.
- Dip each piece of cake into funnel cake batter.
- Fry 2-3 at a time depending on the size of your fryer for 3-4 minutes. Turn after a minute or two to ensure even color.
- When they’re golden transfer them to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Dredge in cocoa sugar & serve.
|Southern comfort dipping sauce looks good, doesn’t it??|