Can you guys handle one more dessert starring roasted strawberries? I know it’s been berry central over here, but I can’t help myself. Roasted strawberries are delightful and roasted strawberry cupcakes – where do I even begin? A simple vanilla cupcake baked up perfectly golden studded with roasted strawberries is good to begin with. Topped with light and fluffy mascarpone frosting and a generous helping of even more roasted strawberries equals summer berry bliss!
So I actually thought about putting this idea on the back burner due to roasted strawberry overkill, but that lasted all of about five seconds. Once i get an idea in my head there’s no stopping me, especially when it comes to cupcakes! I started out making a simple vanilla cupcake that’s a little denser than normal to hold up the roasted strawberries. It’s one of those cupcakes that’s so good on its own, it’s hard to keep your hand off of them!
But let’s be serious, what is a cupcake without frosting? I knew with a denser cupcake, a light mascarpone frosting would be the perfect pairing. Fresh whipped cream folded into mascarpone with a little vanilla bean paste was just what this little cupcake needed. Just remember when making these that mascarpone frosting should be used right away. Of course, more roasted strawberries had to get involved so I roasted another batch to top the cupcakes.
I piped a ring of frosting around the cupcake creating a little well in the center for the roasted strawberries. Once you top them with the roasted strawberries, there really are no words! You’ll definitely want to put the strawberries on right before you serve them because all those juices will drizzle down making things deliciously messy, but messy is okay! And it’s really okay when they taste like this! I hope you all have a great weekend and happy baking!
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 & 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup roasted strawberries (1 batch)
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- *You will need another batch of roasted strawberries to top the cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla bean paste.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl.
- Add dries to mixture alternating with sour cream.
- Fill cupcake tins and place 2-3 roasted strawberries on top of each cupcake. Bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes rotating once halfway through.
- Whip heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla till stiff.
- Fold into mascarpone. Use right away.
- Top with roasted strawberries.
Cupcakes are best served the day they are made. If needed store in air tight container in the fridge and bring to room temp before serving.
Mascarpone frosting should be used right away.
You can also use regular whipped cream to top these if you like.
Top with strawberries right before serving. This is not a cupcake you want to frost and decorate and leave hanging around in the fridge!