Lately I feel like I have cupcakes coming out of my ears! Definitely not the worst thing, but balancing the buttercream is key. Luckily for me and you, avocado chicken salad makes balancing a snap, and with summer temps making a comeback this week, there’s no better time to make this. The best part about this situation, besides that it’s avocado central, is there’s no mayo so it’s perfect for summer entertaining. The only problem is it tends to disappear in a flash!
The first thing you’ll want to do is prepare the chicken. I cook chicken breast and use that, but you can also pick up a rotisserie chicken and make your life even easier. And I’m not sure if I’m the last person to the party on this one, but did you guys know you can shred chicken in a Kitchen Aid mixer? I tossed the warm chicken in the mixing bowl, popped the paddle attachment on and in under three minutes I had perfectly shredded chicken. Consider my mind blown.
Next up is the avocado dressing, also known as my secret weapon. You simply put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse till smooth. I list all the amounts down below, but make sure to taste it and season it to your liking. Some people like a little more cilantro, some like it heavy on the lime. You won’t believe how incredibly creamy this turns out. I make this dressing a lot and use it on everything from salads to tacos.
Once it’s ready, toss the dressing with the shredded chicken and diced red onion. I like to pop it in the fridge so it has some time to chill and all the flavors can really come out. At this point you can eat it as is or you can make these cute little wonton cups to serve it in. These little wonton cups are super easy to make and were such a hit last week when I had people over.
Simply brush the wonton wrappers with olive oil, press into mini cupcake tins and bake till golden. Once they’ve cooled, fill them with a spoon of chicken salad. I shredded some pepper jack cheese to top them and cannot believe how it tied the whole little bite together. That little bit of heat was just what they needed and garnished with a sprig of cilantro, they’re party perfect! How great would these be for Labor Day? Enjoy!
- 2 avocados
- 2-3 Tbsp. cilantro + additional for garnish
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2-1 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small or 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (1 pound package of chicken breast)
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded - I used Cabot
- Place avocados, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin in food processor and pulse till smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add avocado dressing to shredded chicken and mix well.
- Add diced onion and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill till ready to serve.
- Very lightly brush both sides of wonton wrappers with olive oil.
- Press into mini cupcake tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes till they start to get golden. Keep a close eye on them.
- Fill wonton cups with chicken salad.
- Top with shredded cheese and garnish with cilantro.