Good morning, friends! I’m so excited to share the next installment of “Balancing the Buttercream” with all of you today! These skinny turkey taco cups are my go-to party food and the ones that always seem to disappear in a snap. Everyone always asks for the recipe so I finally took the time to write one down and I’m telling you, they are so simple to make! Perfect for any weekend festivities you’ve got going on, or that big game that’s happening on Sunday!
I don’t think I ever met a taco or a plate of nachos that I didn’t like, but being that I eat things like cake, cookies, and so forth on a daily basis, I’ve gotta take it easy. That’s where this recipe stems from, and when you eat a few of these you have room for things like the Ultimate No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie – priorities people!
So the recipe is pretty straight forward and comes together really quick. The black beans really stretch the filling and lend a heartiness I want in a snack food. You get loads of flavor from the bell pepper, onion, garlic and ground cumin. When you use all those good things, you don’t need that stuff that comes in a package that says taco seasoning – they scare me. Moving on, a little salsa gives it a nice kick, and a bit of Greek yogurt stirred in at the end totally seals the deal. Seriously, it adds this unbelievable richness to the whole situation – just try not to eat it all…
Next up are the wonton cups. Brush both sides of them very lightly with olive oil, press them into mini cupcake tins, and bake till they get a little golden. Spoon some taco filling in, sprinkle on a dab of cheese, and pop them back in just till it melts.
At this point they’re almost ready to party, they just need a few accessories. Mix up some more Greek yogurt with a zip of lime zest & juice and spoon on top. Hit them with a little cilantro and you’re looking at 2 bites of awesome!!
I hope you make these part of your weekend plans, and if you’re looking for even more party food you should definitely check out my Skinny Nachos! I hope you all have a great weekend and I’ll see you next week with some fun Valentine’s desserts!
- 1 package ground turkey (usually around 1.3lbs.)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups salsa
- 2 Tablespoons light sour cream or plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- 1 pack wonton wrappers
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt - I used Chobani
- zest of 1/2 lime
- juice of 1/4 - 1/2 lime, add to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add ground turkey to preheated pan and brown over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Make sure to break up the meat as it cooks.
- Add in diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons ground cumin.
- Stir in 3/4 cups salsa and black beans. Turn heat down to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 2 Tablespoons light sour cream or low-fat Greek yogurt.
- Very lightly brush both sides of wonton wrappers with olive oil.
- Press into mini cupcake tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6-7 minutes till they start to get some color. Keep a close eye on them.
- Spoon turkey filling into wontons and top with a little cheese.
- Pop them back in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for about 5-6 minutes just till cheese melts.
- Mix 1/2 cup yogurt with lime zest and juice.
- Spoon yogurt on top of taco cups & garnish with cilantro.
You can add any spices you want to this mixture. Remember to season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top these with a spoon of guacamole for another option.
If you enjoyed Skinny Taco Cups, you may also like: