Good morning friends, I hope you all had a great weekend! I want to give you all a quick reminder about the fantastic giveaway going on. Enter to win a top of the line 16 cup Magimix by Robot-coupe food processor plus smoothie attachment! I’ve been using it non-stop since I got it, and it’s great when you need to puree some strawberry rhubarb compote like in today’s recipe. On to the ice cream!
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote (yields 1 cup puree)
- 1/2lb. rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 pint strawberries quartered
- 1/4 cup sugar (depending on sweetness)
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- zest of 1 orange
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Lower heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes till rhubarb is tender and compote starts to thicken.
3. Pulse compote in food processor till smooth.
4. Refrigerate till ready to combine with ice cream base.
Creme Fraiche Ice Cream (yields 2 cups base)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 ounces sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 4 egg yolks
- 8 ounces creme fraiche
2. Whisk yolks and vanilla bean paste together in a bowl and slowly add in hot milk whisking constantly.
4. Cook over low heat stirring constantly till thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
5. Strain mixture into a bowl. Stir occasionally so a skin doesn’t form.
6. Once ice cream base cools down a bit whisk in creme fraiche.
7. At this point you will have 2 cups of ice cream base. Combine this with 1 cup of strawberry rhubarb puree. Refrigerate base for a few hours and then process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.