I know the name sounds a little ridiculous, but say it a few times and it will grow on you! Maybe it sounds good to me right now due to the fact that I’m feeling the effects of a good night out last night. We were at the Billy Currington concert, and it was beyond amazing! This explains why this post was not up early this morning like I intended… Anyway, I’ll definitely share more about the concert soon, but for now let’s get back to rhubarb.
I’ve been patiently waiting for rhubarb the past few weeks, and finally got my hands on some the other day. I have this one track mind when it comes to rhubarb, I immediately make strawberry rhubarb compote. The color, the flavor, the versatility, it all just screams Spring to me. I already had a new dessert that incorporates this compote scheduled when I thought this compote is good enough to drink. If it’s good enough to drink, then I should definitely add a little something to it, and since Cinco de Mayo is coming up, I might as well make it a margarita.
I then had a strawberry rhubarb margarita last weekend in NY which was an epic fail, so I was on mission to make one fine drink. Now I know it may seem like a lot of work to make this compote for a drink, but it’s really yummy, and I suggest making a big batch of it so you’re ready for the recipe I have coming next week. It’s a good one!
I used both tequila and Grand Marnier to make the margarita. There is a little orange zest in the compote, and the Grand Marnier enhances it adding a brightness to the drink. The compote is on the sweet side so the tequila cuts it perfectly. It’s slightly thicker than a regular margarita from the compote, and the flavors just all work really well together. I’ll definitely be making a few more!
I also want to mention I will no longer have GFC on my site next week, so if you want to stay up to date, please subscribe my email. Hope you all have a great weekend, I’ve got some good stuff in store for you next week!
Strawberry Rhubarbarita (yields 1 drink)
- 4 oz. strawberry rhubarb puree (recipe below)
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. Grand Marnier
- juice of half a lime
- Rim edge of glass with a lime wedge and dip in either salt or sugar. I went with sugar this time.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour all ingredients in & shake it up.
- Pour in glass & enjoy.
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote (yields 1 cup)
- 1/2lb. rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 pint strawberries quartered
- 1/4 cup sugar (depending on sweetness)
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- zest of 1 orange
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes till rhubarb is tender and compote starts to thicken.
- Pulse compote in food processor till smooth.
- Refrigerate till ready to use.